12 May 2009

Where-air-air-air-air is love?

Okay.  I've got that song from Oliver stuck in my head.
I really like the tune.

And some of the words are nice too:

"Where-air-air-air-air is HE?
The one I close my eyes to see?
Will I ever know the sweet 'Hello!'
that's meant for only me?"

BUT what I meant to write is:
WHAT is love!
Isn't it weird that sometimes the easiest things
are the hardest to explain?
I mean, we experience love from a very early age.
And yet, can you put into words what it is?

Here's a list of some of my loves:

my family
chocolate ice cream
warm, fresh sour dough bread
san francisco
going to baseball games
SF cable cars
stars
sleep
teaching first grade
oversized jerseys and comfy denim jeans
long, wide, clean unpopulated beaches
my cat
good books
hobbits
relationships like:
peregrin took and meriadoc brandybuck
samwise gamgee and frodo baggins
gimli and legolas
dan in real life
i am sam
songs by jon foreman
Jesus

How on earth can there be one word that describes all these different experiences/feelings/thing-mees?

I know that in other languages and cultures there are more than one word for "love."
But we have the one.
Love.

And everybody is searching for it!
Maybe "Where-air-air-air-air is love?" is the right question after all.

Let me know when you find it and where!

1 John 4 : 7 - 21

2 comments:

  1. We had a question game on camp, where we all wrote 3 questions on pieces of paper and then picked them out of a hat. Matt said: no cop outs, so you can't answer "Jesus!" (and we started answering everything with Jesus (: ), but then one of the questions was yours: What is love? And the poor person answering said "I'm not trying to cop out, but the answer really is God." :) I do know that love is not romance, and I hate that our culture confuses the two, and puts so much emphasis on romance that love (the word) doesn't mean very much any more. I think love is forgetting yourself, dying to yourself. When you love someone it means you care more about them than yourself. I would do anything for you! The problem with us is that we turn love into a commodity, because all our focus is on money and material things. I wish we weren't so bound to the physical, because it's so restricting. (I have been thinking about the spiritual and physical "worlds" lately.) I wish we could know each other, really know each other, some way other than just talking and spending time with each other, because it restricts us so much in the number of people we can know intimately. And we find it so hard to really care about people we don't know, don't we? Well, I have work to do. :) Look at Jon's page on http://fastdarfur.org and read his blog, especially #4. He's been so blessed with words! I love his honesty, his admittance to being human. It makes me feel less alone. I love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Sindz! Fantastic, thoughtful, thought-provoking comments!
    Hey -- thanks for being here!

    ReplyDelete